Welcome to Duntreath Castle
With the backdrop of the Campsie Hills, Duntreath Castle, has a truly stunning setting and beautiful atmosphere – a perfect Scottish wedding venue. Elegant gardens and lakes shine into the windowed marquee and stone turrets gaze down the valley to Ben Lomond. A broad terrace – leading directly into the bridal rooms – is ideal for the pre-meal reception and broad stone steps are perfect for photographs.
Duntreath is situated on the A81 between Strathblane and Killearn, half an hour from both Glasgow and Stirling, making it the perfect wedding venue near Loch Lomond.
Lady Edmonstone – Julie to all – has years of wedding experience at your service with contact numbers of any or all of the services you will need from caterers to florists, mini-buses to B&Bs. Her aim is to ensure that everyone feels happily ‘at home’ be it older guests needing a quiet corner, children raiding the toy cupboards, babies needing a rest or youngsters (and oldsters) playing football. Guests always enjoy a stroll round the gardens and lake too.
As part of the Duntreath wedding package, the bridal party and guests have exclusive use of the large living room/kitchen and en-suite bedroom. They are also free to use the hall in the 15th century keep or the family chapel, both of which seat 60 guests.
Your Wedding at Our Home
Marrying at Duntreath can be truly fabulous. The combination of our famous garden, exclusive use of the picturesque castle and the uniquely personalised approach to wedding planning can create a wonderfully special occasion. We can help you to cater for the size of wedding you desire, within your budget, with help from your hosts extensive knowledge.
As well as Lady Edmonstone’s wealth of knowledge we have wedding music CDs and wedding programmes from previous occasions for ideas and inspiration.
To ensure that everything runs smoothly on the day we encourage you, your family, friends and anyone involved in the wedding arrangements to visit Duntreath to supervise at any time in the run up to the wedding.
We hold a civil wedding licence for ceremonies within the marquee, turret or garden, offering a wedding venue that can cater to your preference.
To ensure that everything is on site to help your day go with a bang we offer a lock-up garage for pre-delivered wine and supplies. For the day itself we can offer carved wooden easel and board for your seating plan as well as fifteen long stemmed vases.
At Duntreath we want you to feel at home. We offer exclusive use of our ground floor living room with television and toys, ideal for a crèche, as well as a kitchen for coffee, tea and snacks as a respite area for your bridesmaids. We understand that children might be a part of your big day and know how important keeping them entertained is. As well as the indoor area we have a trampoline, football net and bicycles on the lawn for children.
For your wedding guests there is ample hard standing car parking which will be floodlit at night.
Your host throughout will be Lady Edmonstone, who herself came to Duntreath as a young bride and is here specifically to help you plan your day. She regards each bride as an unofficial god-daughter and will guide you through as you plan your day.
All the options and arrangements for a smooth-running day are discussed personally by you and Lady Edmonstone, drawing on her tactful advice and years of expertise to create a truly magical occasion. You are assured that she is just a telephone call away and we ask that you feel free to visit whenever and how often you wish to arrange the final and finer details.
Along with her wealth of experience Lady Edmonstone has great local knowledge and can help you make contact with local wedding suppliers from marquee hire, caterers and band to frivolities and fireworks, her address book is bursting with ideas!
Arriving at Duntreath
The journey for your and your guests from Glasgow is a brief one. As well as excellent connections from Glasgow Airport nearby Milngavie train station has frequent connections with Glasgow City Centre, ideal for your guests.
Ceremonies and Celebrants
Located in the grounds our family chapel seats 40 guests.
We hold a civil wedding licence for ceremonies within the chapel, marquee, turret or garden.
Your tick list for having the perfect day
While we want you to feel free to choose any particular people you would like to use for your wedding, but want also you to be assured that we can recommend a trusted team of experts to ensure seamless perfection. To help with the wedding planning, we can recommend the following:
- Cake Designer – I can recommend an award-winning cake designer and pâtissière for stunning cakes, pâtisserie, gâteaux & favours.
- Marquee hire – I can recommend three very good companies who will send you their brochure.
- Toilets – Please note that you will need a luxury toilet unit (3 men and 3 ladies) from Event-a-loo. There are also two overflow toilets in the keep and the bridal couple, their immediate families and disabled guests are of course welcome to use the three toilets on the ground floor of the house.
- Caterer and wine – The best of country house cooking with uniformed staff – I can recommend several.
- Florist – I can recommend two excellent local florists, or alternatively I have 15 tall stemmed vases which you are welcome to borrow if you have a family friend able to help you.
- Hotels, B&Bs and travel directions – I have a fully comprehensive printed sheet of all these which you can send out with your invitations.
- Taxi and minibus shuttle service – I have all the numbers and printed cards for you to display in the marquee or book in advance. ANTIQUE CAR HIRE.
- Creche – We have several qualified and extremely nice baby sitters who will reign calmly over the kitchen / living room area where toy cupboards and television are situated.
- Electricity – We provide the electricity, extension cables etc., but you will be billed directly by Donald Macleod, the electrician, for connecting all the marquee lights etc.
- Pipers – Our family piper is available for a good tip!
- Photography and video – I can recommend several.
- Bands – I have details of several bands who will send you their demo discs.
- Dressmaker, wedding dress shops, hat hire and hat maker – I have excellent contacts.
- Invitation printers – local or posh.
- Fireworks – two excellent companies.